Monday, September 22, 2008

My Soccer Girls!

Soccer season is upon us once again! I call them "my" soccer girls, because the sport of soccer has always been near and dear to my heart. I grew up playing, as did all my brothers. My Dad reffed and two of my brothers still play on adult leagues. One brother played in college and professionally afterward, and one of my nephews just finished up his collegiate soccer career, as well. Several other nephews and a neice play and ref, too. It's in the McMonigle blood! Brian, on the other hand, grew up in Tennessee where football reigns. His tiny town didn't even have soccer, and he called it a "rich white kids sport!" (all in fun, of course!) Anyway, my family gave him quite a bit of flak about that when we first met, and he was teased a bit when he began coaching soccer a couple years ago! Therefore, they are "my" soccer girls!

Kellen played for the last two years, but this is her first year on an all-girl team, playing on the medium-sized fields, 4 vs. 4. She's really been enjoying it again, and is a little more aggressive getting in there without any boys on the field. She's scored 10 goals so far this season! One of her good buddies for the last 2 yrs. is on the team (her dad is the coach) and she knows another girl from her class as well. Another bonus this year (in her eyes): her uniform is pink!This is Peyton's first year to be old enough to play. She is so excited to have a team of her own and not just going to watch big sister play! Her age group is still co-ed and they play on the micro fields, 3 vs. 3. One of her classmates is on her team, as well as another family friend. Plus, a lot of her other friends are on different teams so we'll see lots of familiar faces on the fields this season! Brian is coaching her team this year. He coached Kellen the last two years and decided to stick with the younger kids, so he didn't move up with Kellen. His debut for the first game of the season Saturday was anti-climactic, though, because he came down with laryngitis and another Dad had to take over on the field! The game was pretty entertaining since none of the kids really knew what they were doing, but they sure had fun!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't know what part of Tennessee Brian grew up in, but in Chattanooga, soccer was huge! :) Glad your girls had so much fun!! And having a pink uniform definitely makes the game better!

summer said...

I need to look into soccer here, I too enjoyed soccer growing up but coming from a small town it only went up to 6th grade :(.
What a great form of exercise for the kids!