Monday, October 13, 2008

Working on our marriage...

Well, here's a picture of my wedding ring. Brian and picked it out together and bought it at Bernard Lewis in Paducah, KY. It's a Gelin & Abaci tension set ring with 95 pounds of pressure holding the stone in place, instead of prongs. It is so unique and we fell in love with it right away. It is definitely one of my most treasured worldly belongings!
Brian and I went to a marriage conference this weekend, so it got me to thinking about all things wedding and marriage related. I have found myself just staring at my ring again the last couple of days, like how you stare at it that first month or so after getting engaged! It brings back so many wonderful memories and is such a great symbol of our life together.
The conference was good, and though Brian and I are already blessed with a great marriage (see posts on Sept. 3rd and 4th!), it was a good reminder to purposely work on our marriage and not to just drift along in life together. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received was from my sister-in-law, Arlene, as Brian and I were about to be married. She told us to never allow ourselves to just become roommates. That really hit home to me--that we are to live our lives together, and not just side-by-side.
I'll leave you with a quote from this weekend that I thought was really good: "Most marital failures are not caused by a blow-out; they're caused by a slow leak."

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Amen sister! Isn't it amazing what a weekend away just you and your man can do for your marriage. Derrick and I went to Weekend to Remember last November and it was truly a life changing experience. It made such a difference to just take that time and focus on making our marriage our number one priority below our relationship with the Lord. We said we were going to try to go back every year and make it a tradition.

Stacy said...

Why do your posts always leave me crying? You continue to inspire me. Thank you for your kind words about enjoying myself in this gorgeous desert- I needed to hear that right now as I am so homesick I can't stand it! It is a blessing to have a "break" to recharge my batteries for both my profession and my "real" job of being a wife and mommy. I will remember the quote about the "slow leak" and check our plumbing as soon as I return to 72432