Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dr. Appt. Update


Kellen and Peyton on the River Market Pig.


Owen playing in the fountains at Riverfront Park.


Dawson in the backpack on the pedestrian bridge over the Arkansas River.

As you can see, we fit some other things in during our 12 hour day in Little Rock. Did a little window shopping and ate lunch at Pei Wei, P.F. Chang's cheaper-but-still-delicious chain. It was cute seeing the kids eating their whole meal with chopsticks (except Dawson, of course, who just shoveled it in with his hands!) After the appointment, we went down to the river and walked around, crossed the pedestrian bridge, and played in the fountains and on the playground. We wanted to make it a fun day for the kids after dragging them for 4 hrs. in the car and 2 hrs. in the doctor's office!
Thank you all for your prayers today. We got lots of information, none of it ground-breaking, but still interesting. There's a lot to still sink in, so it's not like we've got an immediate solution, but I'm still glad we went.
Basically he narrowed down my options to a total ankle replacement or a fusion, ultimately recommending the replacement. He typically wants his patients older, but said he'd do it on me. The down-side is that it would only last 10 years, maybe 15, then the second replacement would only last about half that length of time. Then amputation is the only option. Of course in 10 years there could be technological developments that could help me. The other down-side is that our insurance doesn't cover replacements, so it would cost around $30,000! This physician would like to start using a new prosthesis for ankle replacements that will be available after the first of the year, so I probably would wait at least til then anyway, should we decide to go that route.
Fusion is still an option, but there are major arthritic complications and future surgeries and other probable joint problems from limping (in knees, hips, back, etc.) Either surgery would have a four month recovery time.
What we'd really love more than anything would be to see healing in my leg, rather than the current degeneration. We know our God is big and can do this! I confess even I, far too often, think "God won't heal me", but I know He also gives us the desires of our heart, and I truly DESIRE to be healed. If you think of us in prayer, this healing is what I would like you to pray for. Thanks.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

Kelly,
I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. It sounds like there are some promising options to consider. I will pray for God's healing and guidance for you.

Heather said...

I have faith and hope that God will heal you. I've seen it happen, and have even experienced it. I am sorry for all the pain you are having. I had no idea. You will stay in my prayers.
Cute pics!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it a good day with the family. I will pray for God to grant you healing and the grace to trust Him.

Brandie said...

Thank you for the update! I have been wondering about this. I will certainly be praying. I know you know this, but God works all things together for our good. He'll work this out! :)

joykok said...

Thanks for the update, Kel. Praying for your healing!!!

Dia Sawyer said...

Kelly, John and I will add you to our prayers! Dia

Amy Barrett said...

Kelly! I will keep you in my prayers also!

That is a really sweet picture of Dawson!

Unknown said...

Coachie-

Stay your strong self and things will work out. You are in my prayers.

Miss you,
Deb

P.S. I love the blog by the way. I have more to look forward to than just the yearly update.