Monday, August 18, 2008

Verdict: Success!

Kellen this morning as she headed off to her first day. She really wanted to wear her new school shirt--she is so proud of it!
Another pose to show her new "big girl" backpack. She didn't need one for Kindergarten last year, so she just had a little one that she got when she was 2 yrs. old that we sometimes used for a diaper bag. She's very excited about this pink/cheetah one!


Kellen with one of her bestest friends for the last 5 years! She and Kate had a great day together!

So, Kellen declared today a success. We started this journey with a sweet time of family prayer for her, her teacher and her classmates last night before bedtime. Then we began the morning with Kellen's favorite blueberry muffins. All 6 of us went into the school (not normally allowed) to take her to the gym for their morning assembly. She sat in the bleachers with her great friend Kate and we said tear-free good-byes. I had printed off her day's schedule from her teacher's webpage so I was "following" her day as it progressed, bathing it in prayer all day.

Brian came home while the other kids were napping so I went to get Kellen by myself. She started talking the moment she hit the car and didn't stop until bedtime. She had a great day! Her first words were "I met a new friend today!" I said, "Great, what was her name?" She replied "Um, I forget." So they're best friends, already, can't you tell? ;-)

Some other favorite quotes of the ride home:

"They only give you 2 or 1 minutes to eat. I thought we'd get at least 10." Translation: she didn't finish her lunch in the allotted 20 minutes.

"I had chocolate milk. I almost chose white but then I changed my mind. If you had been there, would you have let me have chocolate?" Translation: "I love this freedom to choose for myself!"

"Did you know in Australia they have this thing in the water called the Great Reef Barrier?" Translation: she meant the Great Barrier Reef, but since Australia is the theme for all of 1st grade at her school, she'll have plenty of time to get the name right!

Two conversations tonight that made us crack up:

Me: "What did you do on the playground today?"
Kellen: "Play"
Me: "I mean, what did you DO?"
Kellen: "It's too hard to explain, Mom."

Brian: "What was your favorite thing about today?"
Kellen: "Coloring" (the girl LOVES art!)
Brian: "What was your least favorite thing about today?"
Kellen: "Coming home" (so, her first day was a success!)

Her teacher told them that the second day of school is even more fun than the first day, so Kellen is just as psyched for tomorrow!

5 comments:

Amy Barrett said...

I am so glad that she had a great first day! Isn't it great to have kids that love school so much they can't wait to go back each day! It makes it much easier to send them!

The Florida Morgans! said...

That is so great! I love it! I surely hope Isaiah's first day of school next year will be tear-free but I doubt it!!! Can't believe Kellen is already that big - surely you and Brian just got married! Can't wait for the 2nd day recap!

Lindsey

Stacy said...

I am crying and laughing reading this. Maybe I am premenstral but this made me cry! I am glad she loves her new school! I have your alpha beads ordered... I hope you didn't need it asap! It will be next week I suppose!

summer said...

so cute! i'm so glad all went well.

Cindy Leaf said...

Love reading your blog! I especially love the playground story!! When we get into our new routines, we need to get together!!