Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trial is over!!!

We're so glad this chapter in our lives is over! This morning the lawyers gave their closing arguments and sent the case to the jury to decide. They deliberated for 3 1/2 hours. There must have been a lot of discrepancy, and they had to work at it until it was unanimous with all 12 jurors. The judge read the verdict and we were very pleased. Could've been better, but definitely could've been a lot worse, too. It's just a gamble with a jury! We had an earlier opportunity to settle, but we were willing to take that gamble and are very at peace with how it all played out. It is so easy to second-guess decisions, think of a million other things you wish you would've said, etc., but we can rest in the knowledge that God directed each step of this journey, and He provides us with exactly what we need. So, ultimately we are relieved to now have a verdict that will allow us to get out of the debt we have incurred since the accident, to continue to pay for our childcare help and housecleaning, and to cover future surgeries and medical expenses. While this is mentally a relief, our daily life of dealing with this permanent disability has not changed, and no amount of a verdict would make this particular situation better. However, we know the Lord has great plans for our family and are certainly thankful for all our blessings! Thanks to all of you who have prayed for us, and a special thanks to all who helped with our children this week. We sure missed them, so we are looking forward to a great weekend together!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am so happy that the trial is over and you reached a settlement. I have been checking the blog and praying for you all week! I hope you have a great weekend with your family. See you Sunday!
Patti

Heather said...

I'm so glad at least that part is over.
I know their is more to come. You and your family are always in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

We love you guys! I know God will take care of you.


Kel

Kristi said...

Found your blog through Facebook and I've been checking in and praying all week. So glad to hear you've finally reached a resolution and can move on. Have a great weekend.
Kristi

Stacy said...

I am thankful for you that this trial is over and you can get on with your future.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad for you guys that you can have some peace about this part being over. I'll still be praying for your healing!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic sis!!! Now you can move out here and forget about that whole stage of your life (at least the trial...).

Kevin and Lisa Lawrence said...

I am so glad that God answered our prayers for RESOLUTION! That word has stuck with me all week, and Praise God for His faithfulness in answering that. I hope you enjoy a day of rest today!

Lisa

Rebecca said...

Kelly,

Congratulations on getting through all of this. I have been reading the updates all week. I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend together and that you enjoy the time with your Mom.

Dia Sawyer said...

WHEW! What a relief! Who would have thought those years ago in MOMS Club you would have gone and be going through this. I'm glad you have resolution and peace! Dia

Unknown said...

Kelly,
You, your family, and Mom have been in our prayers especially this past week. I'm relieved this chapter is over for you, but I pray daily that you get relief from your severe pain and that they come up with a workable solution for your ankle. I love you sweetie! Hugs to Mom, Brian, and those ugly children of yours! Love, Kathy and Bill

Brandie said...

I'm so glad it's over...you have such an awesome attitude about it. God is faithful!!

Amy Barrett said...

I know you are relieved and glad to have this behind you now! Maybe since the trial is over you can put your Christmas stuff up! hahaha. I know, just a few more days!

It was good to see you and the girls today! Your girls are so well behaved and mannerly! Emma and Eva Grace were glad to see them!