Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Update on Kellen: Noon

We're back home and Kellen's settled in on the couch. She is such a trooper! I expected a little nervousness as the day approached, but she continued on in her great attitude all the way through being wheeled away from us! Our pastor, Chuck, sat with us in the waiting room until it was time to go back, which was very nice. She thought her gown was so pretty---green & blue and kind of silky. Then she commented on how nice the place was (what kind of 6 yr. old notices that?) Next they had her drink the "silly juice" which kicked in about 10-15 min. later. Before she got too crazy, I prayed with her (Brian was delivering all the other kids to school, then joined us before Kellen was wheeled away) and then the medicine hit. She was hilarious! Very loopy, laughing and giggling, and saying the most random things. Pretty soon her tongue was thick and eyes drooping, and while she wasn't fully asleep yet, she definitely wasn't "all there".
At that point they wheeled her to surgery and Dr. Sales came and spoke with us about 45 minutes later. He said everything went great and her tonsils and her adenoids were both the size of golf balls! Can you imagine 4 golf balls in the back of your throat? About an hour later we were allowed to go see her. She was awake, but still not completely back to normal. In the first 10 minutes, she asked us 5 times "Did they take my tonsils out yet?" They gave her apple juice right away and monitored her for awhile longer. We got to bring her home around 11:30, complete with pain meds, antibiotic, and anti-nausea meds.
Now she's laying on the couch watching her new Kit Kittredge movie. She's had her medicine and some applesauce and mostly just wants water. She says her throat hurts and I can tell she's uncomfortable, which breaks my heart. But I can't say enough about how tough she is---she's always been our toughest kid! Thanks for everyone's phone calls and e-mails and a certain poster on our garage door and a care package--thanks Kate!!! We so appreciate your prayers and encouragement for Kellen. Please keep her in your prayers for pain relief. I'll try to update this one more time tonight.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yeah, good news. I'm glad she is recovering well. Let me know if you need anything. Is Peyton coming over on Thurs?

Unknown said...

Kellen,
We have always known your were tough. We love you and will be praying for you to feel better everyday.
Enjoy your movie.

Love,
The Roberts

Jenny said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well and that she's being so tough!! Let us know if you guys need anything!

Kevin and Lisa Lawrence said...

I'm so happy that God answered all the prayers and kept Kellen safe and surrounded you and Brian with loving friends! I will continue to pray that her pain is manageable and I'll be watching for an update later!

Lisa

Heather said...

She is tough as nails. I'm so proud of her, too. I'm glad it went well.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad all went well. Loved hearing about the loopy juice! Too funny! My kids were regular stand up comedians on that stuff too! Please call if I can help get kiddos to school Thursday morning.
Heres to all the ice-cream you can eat, Kellen!

Stacey Orr

Anonymous said...

We are praying for her!!!
Love, Jim and Heather Nicklas

Brandie said...

So glad things went well! We'll keep praying for her recovery.

Danna Ramsey said...

Been thinking about you guys all day. Glad to know it went well!