Thursday, July 10, 2008

Our Track & Field Stars










ASU Track & Field finally revived their weekly mini-meets after last summer's hiatus. The year before, I don't think we missed a single meet all summer! With Brian being a former collegiate track and field coach, we're certainly big supporters of these events. Where else can a 4 year old learn to throw the shot or do the triple jump??? Tonight was their first meet of summer '08, and Kellen and Peyton had a blast. They competed in the long jump, discus, 50 m hurdles, 50 m dash (Peyton) and 100 m dash (Kellen). Owen is old enough, too, but we just didn't want to spend the extra money on his entry fee. I bet we'll probably let him enter in the last couple of weeks, though, just to give him a taste of it.
If you read the previous blog, you know that Brian is out of town, so I was flying solo at the meet tonight, but the kids did great. In the 50 m & 100 m dashes, there weren't any other girls competing, so Kellen and Peyton ran in the boys events. Kellen had some older boys in her group, but Peyton's group was mostly boys her own age or a little younger, and she came in first out of the whole bunch! In all, the girls won gold medals in each of their events, for a total of four per kid! They were certainly proud and had lots of fun tonight!

3 comments:

summer said...

Finally, you've entered the blog world and I love your title, too cute! I just read something in a little events catalog for a kids of all ages track meet here in Boise, I thought of you and was inspired to have my kiddos try it out. THough I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go it alone
at least not the first time!
thanks for starting a blog.

Stacy said...

This is great... how I do find out about all these cool activities?

Jenny said...

Fun to see you in the blogging world! Are there any more of these meets? Lucy was lookingw ith me and is dying to run a race. :)