Monday, July 14, 2008

Recipe Day!

I have received many requests since starting this blog to share some of my favorite recipes, so I will try to do that from time to time. Most of you know that cooking is one of my greatest passions, and I love to entertain and cook for other people. I'm not one of those cooks who "invents" recipes all the time, but over the years, I have compiled quite a group of very good "tried and true" favorites. I'd love it if my fellow blogger friends out there would post some of their own favorites from time to time, too!
Today I thought I'd share a couple of our favorite grilling recipes. (I say "our" because even though Brian does NOT cook, he does do all the grilling!) The corn is delicious, and a little different than most grilled corn because it is actually grilled with the husks pulled back and used as a handle, versus with the husks around them (which actually just steams the corn, creating a very different flavor). The herbed butter soaks into the corn, so you don't even need to add anything else to it once it hits the table. The zucchini boats are also delicious, and usually even a hit with kids because of the yummy, cheesey "stuffing". I've never used mint in the zucchini recipe, by the way. Enjoy!

Grilled Corn on the Cob

4 ears sweet corn in their husks
6 Tbsp. butter coarse salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
1 clove garlic, minced

Strip back husks and leave attached at the stem end. Remove silk and hold back husks with a string or rubber band to form a handle. Brush corn with the garlic butter as it grills, rotating often. The ears are cooked when golden brown, after 8-12 min. Keep husks hanging over edge so as not to catch fire.

Stuffed Grilled Zucchini

4 medium zucchini
5 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
¼ tsp. minced garlic
½ c. dry bread crumbs
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Tbsp. minced fresh mint
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving ¼ in. shells. Brush with 2 tsp. oil; set aside. Chop pulp. In a large skillet, sauté pulp and onion in remaining oil. Add garlic; cook 1 min. longer. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir for 2 min. or til golden brown. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, mint and salt. Spoon into zucchini shells. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Thanks for the recipes! We have zucchini in our garden and I pick some daily, so I needed some suggestions for what to do with it! This is perfect.

Jenny said...

YUM... the zucchini sounds so good!

Brandie said...

Thanks for these! They sound yummy. :)

Dia Sawyer said...

Kelly, I still hunt down your recipes out of our MOMS Club cookbook!! Thanks! Dia